Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lunch Box Ideas for My Picky Eater

  
 
Packing lunches for my 7 year old Picky Petunia can be quite a challenge. I’ll admit she isn’t the healthiest of eaters and is definitely not adventurous when it comes to food. I spent the other day searching for ideas on how to inject a little more nutrition into her lunchbox while still giving her things I know will get eaten and hopefully even enjoyed.

 
Generally she takes either a turkey or ham and cheese sandwich on a wrap or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. We look at the school lunch menu every month and she circles the days she would like to buy school lunch. Our school lunch program is $2.25 a day and looks to have a very well rounded selection – of course most of them she isn’t interested in so she only buys lunch perhaps 4 times a month.

 
I visited quite a few web sites as well as did a brain search to put together a list of things I think she will eat. I thought I would share this with my readers. Hopefully at least some of you are able to get your kids to eat more exciting and even healthier foods but here’s my Picky Petunia Lunch Box Idea List:
  • Use “Green” aka Spinach Wraps instead of Flour Tortillas (she actually asks for these)
  • PB&J or Cream Cheese and Jelly on Cinnamon Raisin Bread or Cornbread Muffins
  • Sandwich Shapes – I have some cute mini cutters in seasonal shapes
  • Cheese and Crackers with Grapes and Veggie Sticks
  • Ants on a Log – Celery, Peanut Butter and Raisins
  • Ants on a Raft – Graham Crackers, Peanut Butter and Raisins – maybe throw on banana slices too?
  • Pretzel Kabobs – Meat and Cheese rolled up and skewered with a pretzel
  • Trail Mix – Chex Cereal, Peanuts, Raisins, Pretzels, Mini Chocolate Chips (in today’s lunchbox)
  • Mini Muffins – blueberry, banana mini choc chip
  • Yogurt
  • Carrots, Celery and Peanut Butter
  • Popcorn
  • Fruit – Bananas, Strawberries, Grapes

On Saturday I have these Corn Dog Muffins planned for dinner. If the kids like them then I might include them on the lunch list.

 
I got some of my ideas from these links:

 
Save $400 a Year on School Lunches
Living on a Dime’s frugal tips to providing school lunches – has some great comments and additional ideas from their readers as well.

 
School Days: Fun Brown Bag Lunches for Kids at eSSORTMENT
35 complete lunches including snacks and drinks. I found some very different kid friendly ideas here including apple and banana chips; Ants on a Raft; Peanut Butter, honey and raisin sandwich; and fruit kabobs.

School Lunch Ideas
I didn’t get to spend much time on this site as it is huge! It also includes lunch ideas for peanut free classrooms as well as food safety in packing lunches.

  
I’d love to hear any of your kid’s lunch favorites – especially those with picky eaters like mine.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment