Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Continued Learning Curriculum

After having a great year in kindergarten we really want our daughter to re-inforce her new skills and do a little preparation for first grade. Hubby and I spent some time discussing our priorities for our daughter's summer learning activites. We came up with the following curriculum:
  • Summer Reading Challenge - School sponsored challenge where each child entering 1st grade must read 10 books this summer. We want to commit 10-15 minutes a day at least 5 times a week to independent reading. I am working on a reading list that is age/skill appropriate and we will utilize our town library for books. In addition both she and my 3 year old son can choose books to have us read to them.
  • Telling Time
  • Tying Shoes
  • Money
  • Addition
  • Subtraction
  • Swim Lessons - Level 2
  • Chores - Pick up room, make bed, help clean and help with food prep

I have several workbooks that we got from friends that I plan to use in conjunction with tangible items - the kitchen clock, new sneakers with laces and real money with applications (think ice cream man and dollar store trips).

I'd like to minimize the time spent doing workbook pages and instead use them to springboard into fun applications for learning. I haven't quite figured out exactly how that will work but my guess is that we can come up with ideas as we go along. I liked the idea of new sneakers and learning money through earning for chores and spending on wants throughout the summer.

What kind of things do you do with your children over the summer to help them keep learning? How do you work fun into the mix? Also, I'd welcome any suggestions for reading lists for a child entering 1st grade.

Happy summer learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment