Monday, January 25, 2010

Menu Plan Monday - January 25th - The Extra Challenging Pantry Challenge




Last week’s menu went over pretty well. I had to get a bit creative on Wednesday as Aldi didn’t have sweet potatoes and I didn’t have any rosemary for the chicken recipe. Also on Monday I didn’t have sausage for the penne and broccoli dish so I made mini meatballs instead. Our Saturday dinner for company was a big hit – and everyone had a great time.

This week I really need to start cutting back on our expenses so I’ve tried to work out a Pantry Challenge menu. And based on the total lack of meat in my freezer it was a definitely a difficult menu to plan. I don’t have any recipe links as I’m flying by the seat of my pants with this menu. It’s also subject to change based on leftovers or any brilliant new ideas I conjure up during the week. Here’s what I came up with:

Monday – Leftover Buffet – We have steak, potatoes and corn leftover from Saturday night. Not enough for all so I’m going to add in a salad and probably hot dogs for the kids.

Tuesday – Turkey Pot Pie – There are cooked legs, thighs and wings in the freezer. There are potatoes in the pantry as well as carrots, onions and celery. I can do a Bisquick crust for the top.

Wednesday – Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry – There are some thin sandwich steaks and broccoli in the freezer.

Thursday – Dance Lesson Night – Spaghetti and Meatballs – Sauce and Meatballs are in the freezer. I’ll add in a salad and maybe bake some bread.

Friday – Homemade Pizza

Saturday - ??? – I will probably go to the store on Thursday morning so I’m going to leave Saturday’s menu open until I see what I can get on sale for meat, etc.

My husband is back to work starting today so I also need to figure out some lunchbox ideas…and I have just a little deli meat left. I’m not sure yet if he has access to a microwave so this might also take some creativity. The bananas on the counter are getting rather pungent so baking banana bread and banana muffins are on the to do list for this afternoon.

For more great menu ideas check out Menu Plan Monday at I’m an Organizing Junkie.

2 comments:

  1. all sounds great and like you are being very frugal this is what i have been doing more lately as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping in. It definitely stretches your creativity to cook from the pantry doesn't it? Hope you enjoyed your visit here

    ReplyDelete